Wednesday, August 5, 2009

More on Eating Organic and Nutrition Science

I often wonder if really well-educated and experienced nutrition scientists and researchers ever stop to think about what they're up to. I'm guessing it is really difficult for them to take the time to care about some of the issues in my post because they're too busy trying to get funding for their research without selling out to the man. It is deeply disturbing to me that research not focused on developing a money-making product is seldom funded in our society.

I've learned from people much smarter than me that the body is not a machine - it is a system. Each individual's system is a complicated product of their genes, experience and environment, so it seems obvious to me that experiments involving the food intake of individuals can never be called "well-controlled" (one of those words that reviewers use to praise a study) because people are so damned different. It also seems obvious to me that no two pieces of broccoli are the same, either, so how could a study of food/nutrition be considered valid with our current scientific standards? But hell, I was an English major.

So this article on Slate is still talking about that organic foods study. I thought it was a pretty good summation.

No comments: