Sunday, August 16, 2009

Braised Turkey Breast

I've braised only a lamb shoulder before and it came out very tender and flavorful. I used the oven, but this recipe just does it on the stovetop. I got the idea for this from the January 2009 issue of Oxygen magazine, which had a spread about ways to tweak a holiday menu for fitness people.

It is best to use a bone-in, skin-on turkey breast to braise. Use a large pan with a cover or a Dutch oven, and heat up some oil on high medium heat. Then brown each side of your turkey.

With the skin side down, pour about two cups of stock and some lemon or orange juice over the turkey, add some onions and garlic with your choice of seasonings. Rosemary, thyme or sage all go nicely with turkey in my opinion. Yesterday I used rosemary, white pepper, black pepper, and cayenne.

Once the liquid boils, turn the heat down and cook for about 40-50 minutes, depending on your turkey breast size. My attempt came out tender and juicy all the way to the bone.

No comments: