Friday, August 21, 2009

I Changed How I Eat, How I Think, and How I Clean my House Forever - Part I

This is the beginning of a series of posts about the class at SMC that changed my life - The Mind and Metabolism. I'll be taking my cues from the textbook by James Croxton and J. Christian Lanum, the professors. As far as I know, this is still the only class of its kind, and if you live on the Westside Los Angeles, I highly recommend you check it out. It is normally taught at night.

The first topic the authors address is the mind/body split. The premise is simple and compelling. In my humble opinion, the mind does not exist without the body. Therefore it is the substances that the body ingests and absorbs that make up the mind and fuel its functions.

Your food literally makes your thoughts, so you can change your thoughts if you change your food. This happened to me and the outcome has been overwhelmingly positive. I certainly needed to change my thoughts, as I was impulsive, nervous, anxious and (most of all) angry all the time. I worked out like crazy and "ate healthy" but still had a large bloated tummy.

I often muse that I should have measured my hearing, smell, eyesight, and other factors before all these changes so that I could prove that changing my food changed my life so much. But after all, my happiness and fitness is all the proof I need. Many of my clients, friends and family would say the same, I think.

No comments: