Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Indonesian Meat Cookies


From the Complete Asian Cookbook (Solomon, 1992), these are called Rempah-Rempah, but we call them meat cookies.

8 oz dried shredded unsweetened coconut flakes
1 lb ground meat (calls for beef but I like a combo of beef and lamb)
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt
pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger (I used fresh grated)
2 eggs
oil for frying

Just mix it all together, form balls and cook up. I left out the shrimp paste because of MSG. I have made this with extra cayenne too, and the batch in the picture includes minced white onion. I'm Polish - you can't make meatballs without onion. I recall I also used turmeric since it seemed to go with the other flavors and I love it.

You can fry them or bake them, although baking will make them release some of their juice. My best batch was browned on the stove and finished in the oven.

I warn you, these are addictive. Make these when friends are coming over or you may find yourself popping them into your mouth a little too fast.

No comments: