Saturday, September 19, 2009

Spice Up Your Health - Cinnamon, Turmeric and Hot Pepper

Cinnamon has been in the news lately because some new studies on diabetic people are showing that it can help regulate blood sugar. I eat it every day in my two cups of coffee and on my yogurt. I also like it at holiday time baked along with apples or pears and walnuts or pecans. It has a whole slew of health benefits that you might not know about.

Turmeric is another personal favorite. I like it in an Indian curry mixture on chicken or turkey, white fish, and I really like it on roasted cauliflower. As you know (see Chipotle Turmeric Chicken post), it also pairs well with red hot spices like chipotle, ancho and cayenne. Turmeric has some really exciting antioxidant properties that appear to work against cancer. Not only that, the active ingredient, called curcumin, looks like it could suppress fat cell formation.

Cayenne, ancho, paprika, chipotle, etc. contain a substance called capsaicin. It is in all kinds of spicy peppers like Anaheim chiles, pepperoncini, jalapeno and banana peppers too. This one is exciting because it combines two of my pet topics - spicy food and fat loss. Among many other health benefits, capsaicin appears to elevate metabolism. What's good with hot pepper? Just about everything.

Please note I am not advocating using supplements from these spices. As always, we get our workout from whole foods. Why not make your food even more delicious and nutritious with spices?

No comments: