Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Gourmet Prescription by Deborah Friedson Chud, M.D.

The Gourmet Prescription by Deborah Friedson Chud, M.D. is an absolutely lovely cookbook for an insulin-controlled diet. It is meant to be a gourmet addition to the glut of cookbooks on this topic, and it is certainly geared towards a certain audience in that many of the recipes use a stovetop smoker. They're not cheap and they're not small.
The author is very excited about using pre-made sauces and marinades, and her favorites use the smoker. I thought it was an interesting idea, but since I don't have a smoker, I roasted some of the ingredients she calls for and made an onion and garlic sauce that came out very nicely.
It is a pretty book with nice photos of some of the ingredients and recipes, but for once it seems that the pictures are actually of the recipes, which are a little too low in fat for my liking. Some of the pictures look dry and forlorn to me.

No comments: