Sunday, September 20, 2009

Answering a Reader's Question about Breakfast

Reader Question

Hi there! I've been enjoying your blog since you linked to it on facebook. :)

I eat pretty much the same thing for breakfast every day. I don't want to change it too much, because it was hard enough finding something that worked for me, but I'm curious if you'd have suggestions to make it healthier (other than reducing portion size, which I'm considering).

Here it is:
2 slices wheat toast
(Laura Scudder's) smooth peanut butter
1 banana, sliced

If I run out of bananas, I use frozen blueberries.

I typically drink a mug of coffee and lactose-free milk in approximately a 3:2 ratio. I'm sure I could easily transition back to tea.

Your thoughts?


Answer

Two suggestions: make sure your bread is 100% whole grain or whole wheat - that should be the first ingredient, and make sure it doesn't contain any hidden sugars. The very best bread is Ezekiel sprouted (or any sprouted brand) because the grains are not ground. Grinding actually starts the digestion process for you - not a good thing. Names of hidden sugars at the link below:

http://www.bukisa.com/articles/17509_a-list-of-hidden-sugars-beware

Second, bananas aren't a great choice - blueberries are much much better, as are any berries. Better fruits include the stone fruits such as peaches and plums, as well as citrus like oranges and grapefruit, but citrus probably wouldn't go that well with your breakfast combo. Bananas are very high in sugar and not that high in fiber for the nutrients they offer, plus they're shipped from super far away by companies that exploit the land and the people.

Nothing at all bad about that amount of coffee, or milk. Coffee is only an issue for most people with normal blood sugar once they get into the 18-20 oz or more per day category.

Have a good one and thank you for reading my blog!

No comments: