Thursday, July 30, 2009

Do You Go Organic?

Many bloggers and chat rooms are talking about the nutritional differences between conventional and organic produce. I'm not the only one to think that study is extremely limited when it comes to choosing how to spend your food dollar.

I am concerned about pesticide load on the food I eat, so I try to follow these guidelines. For the dirty dozen list, they suggest you buy organic. I am also willing to buy from farmers' markets if the farmer doesn't spray. Some small farmers can't afford to get certified organic.

The dirty dozen:

Peaches
Apples
Sweet bell peppers
Celery
Nectarines
Strawberries
Cherries
Lettuce
Grapes (imported)
Pears
Spinach
Potatoes

Mmmm. Lists. The next one is stuff that you don't need to worry about so much. Thick skins on some of these. Natural compounds in broccoli cabbage and onions fight pests.

Eggplant
Broccoli
Cabbage
Bananas
Asparagus
Sweet peas (frozen)
Mango
Pineapples
Sweet corn (frozen)
Avocado
Onions


I got this from www.foodnews.org and they have a handy wallet guide and Ipod app.

No comments: