Monday, November 16, 2009

The Holidays and Meal Workouts

Holiday food and celebration is so tied up with tradition and emotion that many people I know just throw their food resolutions to the wayside. It is possible to enjoy family, friends, food and tradition without going crazy and without losing sight of your very important goals.

For me, the hurry, stress and demands of the season actually make it even more crucial that I stick to my guns. If I don't, I end up feeling even worse than I would if I cheated during another time of year. Everyone around me would feel it too, and I don't want that.

Choose your special occasions very carefully. Even though events come fast and thick in Nov and Dec, not all of them qualify as special occasions. I read one woman's strategy simply to enjoy one treat on Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve while sticking to her plan the rest of the time. After all, there are plenty of suitable food items associated with the holidays. Make an effort to choose them.

I will be posting many fantastic holiday recipes and suggestions here. Most of them will be high in healthy fats to keep us satisfied and smiling, and lessen the temptations of processed foods and refined carbohydrates.

Make sure you turn off the TV and get enough sleep, preferably while it is dark out. Exposure to light in winter will most certainly trigger carbohydrate cravings, which can lead to binging quicker than a wink.

No comments: