Sunday, April 11, 2010

How I Tried to Eat Clean in New Orleans - Part II




The Louisiana oysters were tasty, large and mild. They were also quite reasonably priced (about $13 per dozen), especially compared to what I've seen in LA, but I suppose that's to be expected. We got these at Desire, a seafood restaurant on Bourbon Street in the French Quarter. The service was excellent there. The oyster shucker was friendly and many people went up to check out what he was doing.
My entree was grilled snapper with green beans and red pepper, all topped with lump crabmeat. I thought that sounded safe and healthy-ish. I should have been thinking more clearly, as each element was literally doused in butter. I believe in butter but this was overkill. But I won't lie to you. It was fantastically yummy and I ate every single melt-in-your-mouth bite. I had to roll myself out of the chair and take a walk down Bourbon to recover.
My companion had shrimp and grits etouffee (sp?), which was also quite rich. I tasted it and it was thick with flour and rather buttery. She couldn't finish it.

No comments: