Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Binge eating, food addiction, and athletic performance

I read The Hunger Fix by Dr. Pam Peeke with some interest. Sometimes I binge, making excuses about binge foods and what I'll do to mitigate the effects, and I feel horrible afterwards.  I would look at my tummy in the mirror and beat myself up.  I would weigh myself, sigh, and promise myself to be better. Although I didn't enjoy reading the book, it turns out that its suggestions have been effective and powerful for me, with some unintended consequences.  Instead of following the complete program, I used behavior modification techniques that appealed.  Specifically, I came up with ways to trigger dopamine and serotonin release that didn't involve food.  When I wanted to gorge, for instance, I would give myself a facial or roll out my muscles instead.

Not enough time has elapsed to say I am cured, but in two weeks since I've read the book, I haven't binged.  I've experienced common binge triggers that have precipitated a massive feed, such as the fact that it's Friday night, or the mere presence of more than one serving of cheese, but it hasn't happened.  In fact, I haven't been very hungry at all, abnormal in any situation. I didn't skip meals, but I cut my intake.  Very soon, I looked and felt great, how I always hope to maintain.

I competed in a kettlebell lifting contest a few days ago.  I trained hard, I reached my goal several times in practice, and I was ready.  When the moment of truth came, I wasn't able to finish.  I'm pretty sure it is because I hadn't eaten enough.

No comments: