Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Bison brisket is bomb

Last Thanksgiving, I made a beef brisket with Whole Foods grass fed beef.  Last weekend, I tried a 2 lb. bison brisket, grass fed and grass finished, from Linder Farms.  It was about $10 per pound, the same price as the WF brisket.
I was concerned that bison is leaner than beef, so after defrosting, I marinated overnight in lime juice, olive oil, and red pepper flakes.  When I was ready to cook, I pulled the meat out to allow it to come to room temperature and turned the oven to 450.
While the meat warmed, I started my two large golden onions, 1.5 bulbs of garlic, and chopped cabbage to cook in coconut oil.  Cabbage in a brisket?  I'm Polish.  I seasoned with oregano, cumin, parsley, thyme and red pepper flakes. 
Then I seared the brisket in very hot coconut oil.
I added it to the vegetables and added my low-sodium vegetable broth.  I don't use any foods that include "spices" or "flavor."

I covered, brought the broth to a boil, and put it in the oven.  After 30 minutes, I turned the oven down to 200 and left it for five hours.
I consider both briskets to be a success.  Both had great flavor but slightly different texture.  The beef was more moist and stringy, while the bison was firm and drier.

I made a salad with radiccio, a spicy yogurt and olive oil chimichurri sauce, and slices of brisket.

I chopped small pieces of the brisket and fried them in olive oil and coconut oil, added eggs and small chunks of real Parmesan cheese.




No comments: